Sunday, November 1, 2009

Resources at UTEP

While writing research papers in scientific journals a significant portion of the work is dedicated to literature review. As a student of UTEP this has proved to be quite simple due to the numerous facilities that exist for students who have to simply login to the system and download related material of choice. Especially the library database that has a well established collection of journals, scientific magazines, e-books reduces much of the time and effort in actually retrieving a copy of the required material. Also since all of these materials are licensed under the University of Texas system Copyright Act the legal hazards associated also are taken care of.
Another facility which many students and I myself have used extensively is the my utep system which has a large number of resources listed under it for online services. These includes the Goldmine for registration purposes, the mspace for allowing students to upload and download documents, and the Blackboard learning system which helps students to take online courses. For example I have often made payments for my courses online using the Goldmine credit payment system which has in fact proved to be quite useful since I did not have to turn up at the Academic Services building to pay my tuition. Similarly in the case of mspace I have often uploaded documents and important material related to my T.A. work or my research and instead of having the fear of losing it all the time simply downloaded the necessary from the Internet. On the other hand Blackboard was a facility that I recently learnt of since I have not taken any online courses before. I was hoping we could make use of it even for regular courses like in the case when the faculty uploads an assignment and we finish the assignment on time and submit it online.
Apart from all the resources mentioned above I have also learnt about a recent one known as the 'Turnitin' where as a T.A. or faculty it is easy to detect plagiarized documents submitted by the students. But I am not sure about the rate of accuracy involved in such predictions or how much useful it would prove to be in the case when there is a match with documents belonging to students of the previous year.

No comments:

Post a Comment